Pages

Saturday, November 7, 2015

Inspired by The Stone Roses

Lately I have been listening to a lot of music from the 80's Manchester music scene like The Stone Rose, The Smiths, New Order, Joy Division, and the Happy Mondays. Well, today when I heard the Blur album "Leisure" I noticed something I never did before. I noticed that these early Blur songs that I have known and loved for years sounded very Stone Roses'ish. How did I miss that?

So I decided to make a playlist inspired by The Stone Roses. One thing that comes to mind when I think of The Stone Roses is the 80's Manchester music scene that so much inspired and influenced many of the bands I love today like Oasis, Blur, and Pulp. I also think of a certain guitar sound or rhythm. The playlist I created includes bands from this Manchester scene, and some newer bands as well. I didn't create the playlist to say that these bands were influenced or inspired by The Stones Roses, although some actually were, but rather these bands remind me of The Stone Roses and that sound. Some of these bands were around before The Stone Roses or at the same time. Thus, this playlist that I made was inspired by The Stone Roses!

The playlist starts off with a funny Stone Roses performance on Top of the Pops, which is a British music chart television program. I am not sure, but it seems like all bands that perform on TOTP are performing to a back up track. What a shame. Anyways in this performance, you can tell that Mani (bass guitarist) is making it pretty obvious that he is not really playing anything. :)

The playlist then ends with a cover of this same Stone Roses song by The Flaming Lips. A cover that is very different from the original version. I hope someone enjoys this, and who knows maybe you will discover a new band. :o) If you know of a song that sounds Stone Roses'ish let me know and maybe I will add it to this playlist. :)


            


No comments:

Post a Comment